Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation Honors National Military Appreciation Month in May
Military to receive discounts and free admission
Tuesday, April 28, 2015 · 09:00 am
(Virginia Beach, VA) – During National Military Appreciation Month in May, Virginia Beach Parks & Recreation is celebrating and honoring all those who have served and are currently serving. Parks & Recreation is featuring a variety of free and discounted admissions in its programs throughout the City. For more information, visit www.vbgov.com/military.
The National Military Appreciation Month offers include the following:
Thank You Thursdays at Virginia Beach Recreation Centers
- Free Recreation Center admission | Enjoy free access to any Virginia Beach Recreation Center every Thursday in May.
Friday Freebies in the Parks
- Free Dog Park Entry | Enjoy free entry to any City dog park (Bayville Farms, Red Wing and Woodstock Parks) with proof of current City dog license and current rabies vaccination every Friday in May. (Please visit park office to obtain temporary dog park pass.)
- Fishing Pier Entry at Little Island Park | Buy one, get one free admission to the Little Island Fishing Pier every Friday in May. (Present your military ID on May 22 and May 29 to receive free parking at Little Island Park. Parking fees are not charged prior to May 22.)
- Munden Point Park Rentals & Launches | Pay for an hour, get an hour for free on kayak/canoe rentals at Munden Point Park every Friday in May (subject to equipment availability; first come, first served). Free boat launches every Friday in May as well.
- Lynnhaven Boat Ramp Launches | Half off daily launches and free parking every Friday in May at Lynnhaven Boat Ramp & Beach facility.
A military ID (active duty, retiree, or dependent) or DD-214 must be shown in order to receive the offer.
Congress designated May as National Military Appreciation Month in 1999 to ensure the nation was given the opportunity to honor our service members. This very important month honors, remembers, recognizes and appreciates all military personnel; those men and women who have served throughout our history and all who now serve in uniform and their families as well as those Americans who have given their lives in defense of our freedoms we all enjoy today. For more info on National Military Appreciation Month, visit www.nmam.org.
Virginia Beach Parks and Recreation’s vision is a balanced, sustainable and value-focused system of parks, recreation and public spaces that creates a sense of community. We are accredited by CAPRA, the certifying agency of the National Recreation and Park Association. For more information, call (757) 385-1100 (TTY: 711 Virginia Relay), visit VBgov.com/parks or sign up for our email newsletters at VBgov.com/eNews. Find us on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/VBParksRec.