Looking for some FUN things to do this summer in Hampton Roads? Check out our Top 5 Staycation Ideas
(1) Coastal Virginia-Hampton Roads Beaches
If you're a beach lover than you will love Hampton Roads. Almost every city here has some type of beach area. The most notable beaches of the area are Virginia Beach Oceanfront. Virginia Beach's Oceanfront offers visitors 12 miles of public sand beach stretching from Fort Story south to Sandbridge. Visitors can surf, swim, bask in the sun and stroll the three-mile Boardwalk. There is also great entertainment at the boardwalk. There is music, festivals, and fireworks throughout the summer months.
Recommended Beaches in Hampton Roads:
- Croatan Beach
- Sandbridge Public Beach
- Little Island Park
- Back Bay National Wildlife Refuge
- First Landing State Park
(2) History Galore and The Historic Triangle
As many of you know, Hampton Roads is the history mecca of our country. This is where it all started. I must admit before pcsing to Hampton Roads, I remembered very little about American history from my highschool days. However, I have learned so much about our country and how it was founded while living here. It is truly facsinating. It has also been a great experience for our children as they learn the history of our countries beginnings they can also visit the sites first hand. Below are some of the must visit historical sites in the "historical traingle of Hampton Roads". Keep in mind not only is there tons of history to check out here in Hampton Roads there are also many close driving day trip opportunities, some listed below.
The Historical Triangle: Includes three historic colonial communities located on the Virginia Peninsula of the United States and is bounded by the York River on the north and the James River on the south. The points that form the triangle are Jamestown, Colonial Williamsburg, and Yorktown. They feature many restored attractions and are linked by the Colonial Parkway in James City and York counties, and the City of Williamsburg. (via wikipedia) Many of the below historical sites offer fantastic Military Discounts or Free Admission through the Blue Star Museum Initiative.
(3) Busch Gardens and Water Country
Busch Gardens is a must visit while you are stationed in Hampton Roads. Busch Gardens Williamsburg is not only voted year after year as the most beautiful theme park, it also offers a very kid-friendly environment, loads of thrilling rides and roller coasters, animal shows, music shows, fireworks in the summer, dining, and Military Discounts! Water Country USA is another must visit offering thrilling water slides and rides, kid-friendly pools and plenty of places to work on your tan.
Seaworld Parks and Entertainment has always supported the military community by offering great military discounts and the Waves of Honor opportunity (available at Busch Gardens Williamsburg). Learn more about Waves of Honor and Military Discounts below.
(4) Aquariums, Zoos, and Family Entertainment
There are a ton of Great Family Entertainment opportunities available in Hampton Roads. Below is only a handful of FUN things to do in the area to include some of favorites and MB follower's favorites.
- Busch Gardens Williamsburg
- Water Country USA
- Virginia Zoo
- Virginia Air & Space Center
- Virginia Living Museum
- Virginia Children's Museum
- Mariners' Museum and Park
- Norfolk Botanical Gardens
- Nauticus-USS Wisconsin
- Norfolk Admirals Hockey
- Norfolk Tides Baseball-Minor League
- Climb the Cape Henry Lighthouse
- Bounce House Williamsburg
- Go Ape Rope Course
- Rebounderz Indoor Trampoline
- Peninsula Family Skating Center
- Indoor Skydiving Virginia Beach
- Chysler Museum
- Ocean Breeze Waterpark
- Great Wolf Lodge
- Jungle Golf
- Military Aviation Museum
- Fort Monroe Casemate Museum
(5) Boating Excursions/fishing/dolphin & Whale Watching
If you love to fish, Hampton Roads is the place to be. For all seafood fans, you will love the fresh seafood we enjoy here in Coastal Virginia. You can enjoy right off our waters, fresh rock fish, tuna, mahi mahi, flounder, scallops, oysters, of course blue crab, and more! And, you can also enjoy great daytrip fishing excursions to get out there on the waters and catch fresh fish yourself. There are several local charter companies that will take groups out fishing for the day. There are also many public fishing piers. Below you'll find a link to all of these. If you are interested in getting out on the water for other adventures here are some other favorites: December through March is the ideal months to see the enormous and beautiful beasts known as humpbacks. Bottle nose dolphins can be seen in the Chesapeake Bay area, as well as other places in the Atlantic Ocean. The best months to spot dolphins are normally from June to early September.
- Fishing charters, public fishing piers, local fish species
- Spirit of Norfolk- Waterside in Downtown Norfolk, Spirit offers lunch, dinner, moonlight and holiday cruises.
- Rudee Tours- Dolphin tours, Whale tours, and Sunset trips in Virginia Beach
- Yorktown Schooners Alliance and Serenity-Setting sail on the historic waters of Yorktown on the York River.
- Carnival Cruise Lines: Carnival has announced they will begin service out of Norfolk for 2015
- Miss Hampton II- offering the only tour of the famous Hampton Roads Harbor, site of the Battle of the Monitor and Merrimac.
- Kayaking & Paddle boarding have also become very popular in Hampton Roads and there are many locations in the area offering excursions to include nearly all the beaches in the area. Also, be sure to check with you local MWR as many of the Hampton Roads military bases offer kayak, paddle boarding, and boat rentals.
Hampton Roads has tons to offer from amazing history, beaches, mountains, to a strong military community and presence. Explore new things and live each day to the fullest. I hope this list is helpful to you whether you currently live in Hampton Roads or are moving here in the near future. Please feel free to share this list with anyone else you may know who will be moving to this area. To view more ideas of FUN things to do in and around Hampton Roads to include great weekend getaways and festivals click here.
Also, feel free to add to the list by leaving your comments below. I also share many fun local events, military discounts, military-friendly businesses/services, and tips for a successful PCS to Hampton Roads on our social media sites. Please Join Us on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, PINTEREST, GOOGLE+, our website www.militarybridge.com, or our EMAIL OR BLOG SIGN UP to keep up to date with all things Hampton Roads. We have also started a NEW group on Facebook so you will be sure not to miss a post. You can sign up here! We'd love to have you a part of MilitaryBridge!