Deer Park Elementary School is dedicated to the intellectual, physical, social and emotional growth of all students. We will maintain a climate of high expectations with differentiated instruction that meets the needs of all learners within a safe and orderly environment.
- The curriculum emphasizes risk taking and critical thinking through discovery, exploration and collaboration.
- We will focus on scientific study, problem solving, research skill, scientific tools and technology.
- Students will master the Virginia Standards of Learning, fine arts curriculum and develop a greater appreciation of their environment.
Our goal is to ensure a life long love of learning and to foster and encourage a strong sense of community involvement.
Goals and Objectives
- Through interdisciplinary units of study, student performance will reflect the application of higher order thinking skills. Student achievement in English and reading skills will meet or exceed state and national standards.
- Test score disparities between gender and race subgroups will decrease by 20% on state and local assessments.
We serve a kindergarten through fifth grade population of approximately 50% male students, 50% female students, 50% majority race students, and 50% non-majority race students. Our teacher to student ratio is around 1:24.
Deer Park students have received numerous awards from organizations or events such as Jubilee on the James and the Newport News Clean City Commission. Our chess team has won the state championship in the past.
We offer special programs for Deer Park students such as the Chess Club, DARE, Environmental Science Service Group, and Young Authors as well as monthly visits to the Virginia Living Museum. Deer Park also offers Reading Recovery and literacy groups.
Parent and Community Involvement
Parents are an integral part of the Deer Park program and are involved in all aspects of the school. They provide holiday homes to our more than 100 classroom pets, read to students, provide tutorial opportunities, participate in cut-and-paste sessions for teachers, and work at our library, courtyard and book fairs. We have implemented several new parent programs, including Reading /Literacy Night, Parent/Student Technology Night, Parent/Student Math Night, and Parents' Night.
Teacher/Student/Parent Extended Activities
We provide opportunities for students to extend the classroom learning environment by having grade-level showcases. Unlike traditional student performances, these evening activities are an opportunity for students to display their knowledge of SOL-based information. The program integrates art, music, physical education, and all SOL-tested subjects into culminating activities. Deer Park also created an Environmental Family Activities Day, which allowed teachers, parents, and students to work together on a specific grade-level environmental project.
Rate and write a review