Children’s Museum of Virginia to Host 2nd Annual Military Appreciation Day
In celebration of the U.S. Navy in Hampton Roads, the Children’s Museum of Virginia will host their 2nd Annual Military Appreciation Day on October 14, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The museum will offer a discounted $5 admission for active duty members, Department of Defense civilians, and their families (with valid I.D., children under 2 are free), as well offer a 20% discount in the museum gift shop during the event. They will extend a 15% discount on membership to military families. This offer is not valid with any other discount.
During the day, volunteers from the U.S. Navy will showcase the latest technology and skills of today’s maritime services to the public with various static displays and demonstrations inside the museum.
Guests will be able to experience displays, demonstrations, and personnel from the following units*:
• Navy Region Mid-Atlantic Fire & Emergency Services will offer fire safety and preparedness tips, including a fire engine on display outside the building for children to see
• Hampton Roads Naval Museum display
• Naval Information Forces display
• U.S. Navy Stewards of the Sea displays and mascot “Stewie”
• Navy Region Mid-Atlantic working dog demo
• Naval Medical Center Portsmouth display
• Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Atlantic will provide a STEM presentation
• Navy Fleet and Family Support Center display
• Portsmouth Sheriff’s Office Ident-a-Print booth, 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.
• Drug Education for Youth (DEFY) display
… and more! (*Participation subject to change without notice.)
The birthday observation increases awareness of the Navy’s mission, and celebrates and recognizes the sacrifices and contributions of our Navy Sailors, past and present, who are neighbors, volunteers and citizens actively working to enhance the quality of life for Hampton Roads residents and visitors. The partnership also emphasizes the longstanding close relationship the military has with the American public, both home and abroad.
The Navy will celebrate its 242nd birthday on Oct. 13. The central theme for this year’s celebration is “Sea Power to Protect and Promote.” The Navy was established by the Continental Congress in 1775 after votes were made to fit out two sailing vessels with the intent to send them out on a cruise of three months to intercept transport vessels carrying munitions and stores to the British army in America.
Learn more about The Children's Museum of Virginia and their Military Discounts on MilitaryBridge. While you're on their MilitaryBridge page, share your experience by leaving a review!
Howl-O-Scream At Busch Gardens Williamsburg! Learn about their Waves of Honor, Veterans Offer and Other Military Discounts!